Mandala Records

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Moog Lives Forever!

I was thinking that I would be remiss, if I had not
added a note to MandaBlog about a great influence for
me, Robert(Bob) Moog, the godfather of popular
Electronic Music and the inventor of the first
keyboard-equipped modular analog synthesizer. Bob Moog
past away August 21, 2005. Bob Moog died from brain
cancer at age 71 at his home in Asheville, N.C.

I was reminiscing on the first time I saw a picture of
a Moog synthesizer and heard one, was in sixth grade,
when I heard the "Switched-On Bach" LP by Walter
Carlos(now Wendy Carlos). I was very fascinated by the
sound, from just playing piano and organ in those
days. The first time I actually played a Moog, was the
Moog 3 modular synthesizer at the University of
Colorado in Denver in 1977. Man, that was too fun!!!
That same year, I played a Mini-Moog synthesizer
for the first time. I had and was playing ARP(Alan R.
Perlman) synthesizers at the time and had never really
played a Moog.

The ARP and Moog synthesizers are very dear to my
heart as synthesizers and even today, I still use
them. A never-ending source of sound inspirations!

At this point, all I can say is "Thank you so much Bob,
for your inventions!"

There are great articles all over the 'Net right now
on Robert Moog and a great movie as well.
Here are some links:

http://www.moogmusic.com/
http://www.moviemoog.com
http://www.robotspeakmagazine.com/articles/bob_moog.html

Peace!
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home